Find out how the Health and Social Care Act will damage the NHS
Dicuss how we can campaign to defend our NHS
Saturday 16 June
London South Bank University
Castle Lecture Theatre, London Road Building
London Road SE1 0AA
(2 mins walk from Elephant and Castle Tube)
Allyson Pollock - Professor of Public Health Research and Policy, Queen Mary University London
John Lister - London Health Emergency
Dr. Louise Irvine GP - Member of Keep our NHS Public
Elly Pilavachi - Student Campaign for Global Health (Medsin)
Frank Wood - Unite Executive and King’s College Hospital Nora Flanagan - Royal College of Nursing
Sponsored by LSBU UCU; Unite; Southwark Save Our Services; Lambeth Keep Our NHS Public; Lewisham's Pensioners' Forum; Lewisham Keep Our NHS Public
DID YOU KNOW?
• Virgin Healthcare has just signed a £500 million contract to run Surrey Community Health Services.
• Another private company, SERCO, has a £140 million contract for Suffolk community services.
• In Camden, United Health [a US private health company] was contracted to run a GP practice, then sold it to another private company which withdrew leaving 3000 patients without a GP.
• Guys Hospital is giving 5 floors to a private company to provide care for private cancer patients.
• NHS Foundation Trust Hospitals will be allowed to use 49% of beds for private patients.
• The recently passed Health and Social Care Act enables private companies to run health services for profit.
• Our taxes and NI pay for the NHS, and should stay in the NHS, not go into shareholders pockets!
• This will lead to cuts, worse quality, postcode lotteries and longer waiting lists.
• Those with money will be able to buy the healthcare they need: the rest will have to make do with a second class service.
We don’t have to accept this
We can campaign to protect the NHS
Come to the meeting on 16th June and hear inspiring speakers explain the issues, and discuss how we can campaign together to defend our NHS.